Sunday, July 21, 2013

Culture Club: Sawadee Ka! Thailand Candle Festival



Wat Pasantidhamma 
 I was four years old, when I stepped foot on my mother's homeland. Growing up,  if my summer's weren't spent in St. Louis, I was in Bangkok & Ubon, Thailand.  Every trip, we went straight to the temple to receive blessings. Some of the happiest moments in my life, were spent in the beautiful, gold trimmed courtyards of Thai Temples. Mom a devout Buddhist would go in and pray, I would be exploring the grounds outside! Feeding baby chicks, or pretending I was a princess and this was my golden domain! Then she would come out and sprinkle me with holy water! We always celebrated the Thai Holidays! I remember always having fun times and LOTS OF FOOD!
Tradition still stands!  Mom had me out at the Thai Candle Festival in Carrollton, VA. She is pretty active and lends a hand all over! I go every year, and each year, I love it! Might I add, I still continue to get those blessings by the Monks! The Thai community comes together to make this event spectacular! There is a mini market place that sells all your authentic Thai cuisines, desserts & street foods. (Ahh, the smell is so enticing-you want to try it all) Vendors selling Thai material and mementos.
There were Raffles & a Peace Park to enjoy! There is also huge buffet of anything and everything Thai you could ever want, that is offered to Festival patrons and guests of the temple, free. As a "Thank You" for joining in this Spiritual Sunday! Mom helps prepare and serve the authentic cuisine.  I LOVE the traditional parade around the temple. Oh, Mom helped lead the parade by the way.  This "Taste of Home" for me, usually ends with traditional Thai drums being beat and Thai traditional dancers.  You know it-Mom, loves to play the drums AND dance! At the end of the day-that's where you can find her!     
Before the Thai Buffet Lunch, the Monks will bless the food!
Amazing Food! Just like home! Yummy Thai Soups! 
Plenty of Fruits! 
My Mom,  the beauty with the big smile, helps prepare the Thai lunch buffet to everyone in attendance! 
Working on a new building! Donations are accepted!
These Thai Rice Cakes drizzled in dark carmel are sold in packs and usually gone in minutes! My grandmother always had some ready for my arrival! 
Love fresh Thai veggies! Smells beautiful! Thai Basil, Bamboo, Lemongrass! 
Real Chicken Satay! All you need is Sticky Rice and Somtham!
Fried Fish, Tod Mun, Steamed Bamboo. Are you serious? I will take all three. Thanks. 
These incense & flowers are for the traditonal Prayer Ceremoy!
Jack Fruits & Thai Desserts were also sold in the "Thai Marketplace" 
This lady has to be my fav! She sold Som Tham or Thai Papaya salad fresh! You tell her how spicy or how lemony you want it...She got it! She is actually slicing up the Papaya in this pic!   
Thai Sausage is the best! Especially with Sticky Rice and Som Tham aka  Papaya Salad. 
Mom, far left, will help lead the Candle Fest Parade around the temple 3 times! Thai Tradition!
Everyone offers the Monks food for blessings, prior to our lunch and prayer session.
What I love about this pic? The Monk taking pics with a very nice camera! There's Mom again! Tired, but happy after the parade! 
My favorite childhood dessert! Tapioca with Sweet Corn topped off with Sweet Coconut Milk. Ahhh. Amazing.
Mom and all the pretty Thai babies after the parade. Tired but they were troopers. And so Adorb!
A stroll in the Peace Park leads to many Statues and outside alters. 
Our Meal! Pad Thai, Pad Woon Sen, Thai Beef Salad, Fried Crabs, Thai Chicken, Kai Palow, Chicken with Basil/Thai Eggplant, Fried Rice Patty, Som Tham, Sticky Rice, Jasming Rice. Yeah. We smashed!
Thai Gong rang after Monks were finished with prayer.  Kind of wish I was the "Gonger"! You have no idea! I was so close!!
Every Thai household has this! It holds Kao-Neuw or Sticky Rice.
The Sanctuary
Candle Festival. These are traditionally used to light up the Temple, back when no there was no electricity.  The community comes together to make the huge candles!
Thai Traditional Drummers end the event as everyone breaks out in Dance...Thai Style!



No comments:

Post a Comment